Tuesday 21 June 2011

Mayfield

.
The Catholic secondary school I most regularly visit is St Leonard's Mayfield.
The staff and girls give a great welcome and I am delighted to have the opportunity to offer Mass in their lovely chapel. The school is the foundation of the Sisters of the Holy Child Jesus themselves founded by Cornelia Connelly.
Cornelia died on 18 April 1879, at St Leonards on Sea Sussex, where she had established the first St Leonards school. Today, the Sisters of the Holy Child Jesus are active in fourteen countries, striving to live the apostolic life as Cornelia did, seeking to meet the wants of the age through works of spiritual mercy.
They are engaged in education and related spiritual and pastoral ministries.
In 1992, the Church proclaimed Cornelia as Venerable.
This is her tomb in Mayfield where I said a prayer for her intercession.
 I bought a cake and some excellent bread from the local baker.
My only regret was that I did not have enough time to call on the parish priest, the splendid Fr Mario Sanderson.

No comments:

Post a Comment